The goal: To read as many prequels and sequels as you can. You set your goal at whatever number works for you.
- The challenge runs from January 1st to December 31st.
- Any books started before Jan. 1 will not count.
- All books in a series count for points (see below)
- Novellas count, either prequels or sequels (i.e. #0.5, #1.5, #2.5, etc).
- Books can be of any publication date. They don’t have to be released in 2014.
- In order to get 10 points for a completed series, there must be at least 3 full-length books in the series.
- You can still get sequel points for a duology, you just can’t get the 10 bonus points for finishing it.
- Sign-ups will be open until December 1st, 2014.
- To join, add the URL of your challenge post to the linky widget. (If you’d like to wait, it’s ok to use your blog URL and send us your link when you get the post up)
- At the end of each month we will post a linky for you to add your sequel reviews to. The linky will rotate between our blogs on alternate months, so you can link up at Novel Heartbeat at the end of January, March, May, July, September and November, and over at Writer Grrl Reads at the end of February, April, June, August, October and December.
- We will try to do some giveaways throughout the year for participants (as long as we can afford it), as well as some mini-challenges and read-alongs … so stay tuned for further details!
- There will be a giveaway at the end of the year for all participants who completed the challenge!
The Point System
For each prequel and sequel read this year, points will be awarded as follows:
- 1 point for each prequel or sequel novella read and reviewed
- 2 points for each full-length sequel read and reviewed
- 10 points for completing and reviewing a full series (doesn’t require novellas)*†
- **You do not get points for the first book in a series
To get points, you must review the book/novella somewhere. If you want to earn points, please link up your reviews at the end of each month, and enter the number of points earned (we will give examples in the linky). Each point earned is an entry into the giveaway at the end of the year for all participants who completed the challenge. So, the more sequels you read, the better your chances of winning the giveaway! Plus, we are also considering one prize for the “overacheiver award” — the person who gets the most points!
*The 10 bonus points is for finishing a full series. That means that all books must be published (unless you got an advance reader copy early). i.e. If you are completely caught up on a series, and the next book is not releasing until 2015 (and you do not have an advance reader copy), that does not count toward the 10 bonus points.
†If you started the series before 2014, you can still get the bonus points for finishing it if you reviewed the other books in the series at some point. For example: You read The Hunger Games in 2013, but read Catching Fire and Mockingjay in 2014 – you would get 2 points for both sequels (4 points total) and 10 points for finishing the series. You don’t have to start the series in 2014 to get the bonus points.
PREQUELS & SEQUELS I’VE READ THIS YEAR (links to reviews):
- Hairspray and Homicide (#1) = 0 pts
- Dark Lover(#1) = 0 pts
- Bloodfire (#1) = o pts
- Wild Things (#9) = 2 pts
- Awakening (#1) = o pts
- The Cipher (#1)= 0 pts
- Deadly Curiosities (#1) = 0 pts
- Dissonance (#1) = 0 pts
- Division Zero (#1) = 0 pts
- Unholy Ghosts (#1) = 0 pts
- Unholy Magic (#2) = 2 pts
- City of Ghosts (#3) = 2 pts
- Sacrificial Magic (#4) = 2pts
- Chasing Magic (#5) = 2pts
- Death’s Lover (#1) = 0 pts
- Death’s Redemption (#2) = 2 pts
- Kissed by a Dark Prince (#1) = o pts
- Claimed by a Demon King (#2) = 2 pts
- Ghost Seer (#1) = 0 pts
- The Undead Pool (#12) = 2 pts
- Blood Winter (#4) = 2 pts
- Killing Sarai (#1) = o pts
- Nice Girls Don’t Bite Their Neighbors (#4) = 12 pts
- Her Mad Hatter (#1) = 0 pts
- Kitty and the Midnight Hour (#1) = o pts
- Kitty Goes to Washington (#2) = 2 pts
- Cursed in Shadow (#1.5) = 1 pt
- Son of Dragons (#2) = 2 pts
- Cinder (#1) = o pts
- The Queen’s Army (#1.5) = 1 pt
- Scarlet (#2) = 2 pts
- Cress (#3) = 2 pts
- Obsidian (#1) = 0 pts
- The Maze Runner (#1) = 0 pts
- The Scorch Trials (#2) = 2 pts
- Night Broken (#8) = 2 pts
- The Art of Seducing a Naked Werewolf (#2) = 2 pts
- How to Run with a Naked Werewolf (#3) = 12 pts
- All Hallows Night (#2) = 2 pts
- One Foot in the Grave (#2) = 2 pts
- Happily Never After (#1.5) = 1 pt
- Las Vegas (#2) = 2 pts
- Fool Me Twice (#2) = 2 pts
- First Impression (#1) = o pts
- Shatter Me (#1) = o pts
- Destroy Me (#1.5) = 1 pt
- Unravel Me (#2) = 2 pts
- Fracture Me (#2.5) = 1 pt
- Carrots (#1) = o pts
- Fast Money (#2) = 2 pts
- Lie or Die (#3) = 2 pts
- Secrets That Kill (#4) = 2 pts
- Sirenz (#1) = o pts
- Sorcery Code (#1) = o pts
- Never to Sleep (#5.5) = 11 pts
- Splintered (#1)= 0 pts/li>
Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
- The Assassin and the Pirate Lord (#0.1) = 1 pt
- Throne of Glass (#1) = o pts
- Minutes Before Sunset (#1) = o pts
- Seconds Before Sunrise (#2) = 2 pts
- True Fate (#1) = 0 pts
- Uninvited (#1) = 0 pts
- Sealed With A Curse (#1) = o pts
- Whisper Cape (#1) = o pts
Bekki the Beautician Mystery by Cindy Bell
Black Dagger Brotherhood by J.R. Ward
Blood Destiny by Helen Harper
Chicagoland Vampires by Chloe Neill
The Chrysalis Series by Elene Sallinger
Crosspointe Chronicles by Diana Pharaoh Francis
Deadly Curiosities by Gail Z. Martin
Dissonance by Erica O’Rourke
Division Zero by Matthew Cox
Downside Ghosts by Stacia Kane
Eternal Lovers by Marie Hall
Eternal Mates by Felicity Heaton
Ghost Seer by Robin D. Owens
The Hollows by Kim Harrison
Horngate Witches by Diana Pharaoh Francis
In the Company of Killers by J. A. Redmerski
Jane Jameson by Molly Harper – Series Complete!
Kingdom by Marie Hall
Kitty Norville by Carrie Vaughn
Legends of Oblivion by Andrea R. Cooper
The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer
Lux by Jennifer L. Armentrout
The Maze Runner by James Dashner
Mercy Thompson by Patricia Briggs
Naked Werewolf by Molly Harper- Series Complete!
Night by Marie Hall
Night Huntress by Jeaniene Frost
The Nightlife by Travis Luedke
Rules for the Reckless by Meredith Duran
Shadow Maven Paranormal by Pauline Creeden
Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi
Shelby Nichols by Colleen Helme
Sirenz by Charlotte Bennardo & Natalie Zaman
Sorcery Code by Dima Zales & Anna Zaire
Soul Screamers by Rachel Vincent – Series Complete!
Splintered by A.G. Howard
The Timely Death Trilogy by Shannon A. Thompson
True Fate by Shayna Varadeaux
Uninvited by Sophie Jordan
Weird Girls by Cecy Robson
Whisper Cape by Susan Griscom
Total Points: 91