I received this book for free from Publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.Bright Blaze of Magic by Jennifer Estep
Published by Kensington on April 26, 2016
Genres: Urban Fantasy, Young Adult
Bright Blaze of Magic was such a great read! I don’t know why it took me so long to commit to reading – maybe because it was the last book in the series? That’s not usually a problem for me, as I love the satisfaction of actually being current on a series… but for some reason I dragged my feet picking up Bright Blaze of Magic.
Bad Things Always Come In Threes…
As a thief, I'm good at three things: hiding in the shadows, getting in and out unseen, and uncovering secrets. I put these skills to work for the Sinclair Family, one of the magical mobs that run the tourist town of Cloudburst Falls.
Everyone knows Victor Draconi wants to take over all the other Families--and kill every last Sinclair. What they don't know is that I'm on to him, and no way will I let the man who murdered my mom get away with hurting all the other people I care about. Especially when I've got places to break into, stuff to steal, and Devon Sinclair fighting right by my side…
- I ADORE these characters. They are very mature for YA (the fantasy tends to do that), but they do still hold on to some of their youth – in terms of hopefulness and naivety. They withstand a lot of loss in this book with strength and dedication to their loved ones, which I enjoyed reading. I was especially impressed with one character who had the moral courage to choose what was right over her kin. A tough call to make, but an important one to know how to make when necessary.
- Y’all know I’m an animal lover and in this series, for me, the monsters are a lot like animals. I just love them and the respect that Lila shows to them makes me love her all the more. There are some great moments with a lochness monster (as opposed to THE Lochness Monster) and I think s/he became my favorite monster of the series.
- The story is filled with action, suspense and magic – like I’ve come to expect from Jennifer Estep. A couple fairly epic magical fights, a few chases… just lots of nail biting action!
- This one definitely stomps on your heart a bit more than the others. Some heart wrenching moments that force our young characters to act very adult.
What Could Have Worked Better
- I feel like there were a few points that happened too easily. Yes, there’s some tough moments. But there’s also some points where you’re thinking, “really? and that’s it?”
- I struggle with Mo as a family leader – he just seems to fun and not serious enough with his Hawaiian shirts. He’s a great guy, but how anyone takes him seriously I just don’t know.
I’m really glad y’all voted for me to finally finish this trilogy from Estep! I enjoyed it and thought it was a great conclusion.
Berls loved Bright Blaze of Magic & thought it ended the trilogy perfectly! 4/5 stars! Click To Tweet