We’re going back to school but this time your in charge of the assigned reading list!
Ready to join Michelle and I for the 2017 Reading Assignment Challenge!?
- The 2017 Reading Assignment Challenge runs from January 1st to December 31st 2017. You may sign up anytime between now and July 1st.
- You may only participate for the months AFTER you sign up (so if you sign up in February, January doesn’t count)
- Commit to reading 1, 2, 3, or 4 books a month and MAKE A LIST of the SPECIFIC books you will read in 2017. This is the point of the challenge: you’re committing to reading a set list of books and a certain number of them each month. It’s your chance to finally hold yourself accountable for those books you keep promising you’ll read!
- You may read any genre or any format (i.e., eBook, Audiobook, Paperback, Hardcover). But they must be published before January 1, 2017 and they must be at least 100 pages.
- Pick a level and make your list. REMEMBER: you’re committing to not just those books, but that number of books a month. You CANNOT read them all in one month. We’re doing away with the complicated and often confusing extra credit this year, but you’ll get a chance for a fresh start each quarter (details below)
- At the end of each month, cross off the book(s) you read. We will have a link-up each quarter (hosted by Michelle in April, Berls in July, Michelle in September, Berls in January 2018) for you to link your progress. Details below, but… The link-up will be open for the first 7 days of the new quarter and we will randomly select a quarterly winner of a $5 gift card to Amazon. Giveway will be open Internationally.
- Tweet your progress to #2017HW and keep an eye out for random tweets from us.
- There will also be a grand prize drawing in January 2018. The number of entries you get in the grand prize giveaway will depend on how you perform in the quarterly Report Cards and what percentage of books you read from your list. The quarterly giveaways will be based on that quarter alone, so even if you can’t complete the challenge for the year, you will have plenty of opportunities to win!
Reading Level 1:
12 books (1 book/month)
Reading Level 2:
24 books (2 books/month)
Reading Level 3:
36 books (3 books/month)
Reading Level 4:
48 books (4 books/month)
Note: This year DNFs count as having read the book – you will NOT need to replace books that you DNF.
The Quarterly Report Cards
You get a do-over. Every quarter.
Here’s what you’ll need to do every time you turn in your Quarterly Report Card:
- Report which books you read, during which months.
- Report which months, if any, you didn’t make it.
- Link to your review and/or reading progress on Goodreads showing you read the book(s).
- Your final grade for the quarter, based on this chart:
- I made an A! Read all your books all three months of the quarter.
- I made a B! Read all your books for two months of the quarter.
- I made a C! Read all your books for one month of the quarter.
- I made an F!Didn’t read all your books during any months of the quarter.
So what if you made an F for that quarter? Yeah, it stinks, but it’s a new quarter and you get a chance to start over (with the same list of course!) At the end of the year, when you enter the final giveaway you’ll get extra credit based on your grade for each quarter. To get the extra credit, though, you must have turned in your report card for that quarter.
Halfway through the year, some of those books you were SURE you wanted to read in December you no longer want to read. So we’ve made one more concession. At the end of the second quarter, in your Second Quarter Report Card you may change out ONE MONTH’S worth of books. So if you’re level one, that’s one book. If you’re level four, that’s four books. But you have to commit to those four new books and you can’t change them again.
And that’s it! This is a bit stricter than a lot of year-long challenges, but that’s because we want it to be a little harder and hopefully more satisfying when you rock it!
Time to make your 2017 Reading Assignment list!
Make the list of the books you WILL read for the challenge, picking your level. Remember you’ll only get one chance to change your list – at the end of June! Also remember, you must read the number of books you say you will each month. If you have any questions now or at any point during the challenge, email Me (email@example.com) or Michelle (firstname.lastname@example.org).It's time to make your #2017HW reading list! Check out the new & improved rules and sign up! Click To Tweet
Grab the logo for your sign-up post:
Once you’ve made your list, link up here:
We hope you’ll join us! Good luck!!