Join me every Saturday as I ask a Fun Question that’s been on my mind. I’ll give you my take, but I really hope you’ll jump in with your answers too, since I’m really curious to know what my fellow readers and bloggers think! So today’s question is…
How do you pick your next read?
I’ve actually blogged about this before, when I first started blogging and participated in the 15 Day Book Blogger Challenge but I was brand new to blogging and blogging has really changed how I pick out my next read.
I still have a very complicated procedure for picking out what I’m going to read next – and I try really hard to have that book picked out before I finish my current read.
When I finish a book and don’t have another one ready to read, I’ve been known to respond with a Buffy worthy meltdown
So to avoid a meltdown, I have a book picked out through this complicated though process:
- I have to look at my calendar, because I have books that have to be read and reviewed by deadlines now. 3 months ago when I started blogging I really didn’t expect this would happen, but I actually have people requesting that I read their books! So I want to be responsible and get them read on schedule!
- My NetGalley calendar factors in now too. Although it’s not quite the same as someone requesting me to review a book, I do feel like I owe it to the authors to get a review of the book out within a reasonable amount of time from when the book was approved. And if I’m approved for a book a decent amount of time before its release date, then I make a point of getting it read and reviewed by the release week.
- Challenges! I’m participating in a few reading challenges and I find myself scheduling books based on them. For example I’m actually co-hosting the Clean out your E-reader Challenge November 1-30th (sign up now!) and from November 7th-11th I’ll also be participating in the Ho-Ho-Ho Read-a-thon so I’m trying to plan books to read during that time that will meet the qualifications for both events.
- New Releases – if a series I’ve had on my TBR for a while has a new release coming up and I have room in my schedule, I start reading it so that I can join in on the new release fun. Before blogging I didn’t realize how much hype could surround the release of popular book and now that I know about it, I want to enjoy it!
- From there – it’s all about mood and access. I look at the books I have and what I feel like reading and agonize (I’m not exaggerating here) over what one I will pick up next.
So that’s my process! What’s yours?
Do you do anything the same as I do? Anything different?